It’s been over a year since James Charles vs Tati Westbrook went down – arguably the biggest drama the beauty industry has ever seen. If you missed it, there are too many parties involved to concisely explain exactly what had happened, but, Sparknotes version, Westbrook accused Charles of betraying her after promoting the vitamins of one of her competitors and of sexual predatory behaviour towards several heterosexual men. For the full lowdown, this helpful YouTube video sums it up. The feud continued back and forth for weeks, with additional names like Jeffree Star also weighing in. Then, it was seemingly resolved off-camera and the two claimed to be on speaking terms again.
That was until last week, when the drama was reignited by Shane Dawson, who addressed the controversy in a now-deleted essay entitled ‘Welcome to the Circus’ in which he says he was aware of the feud between Westbrook and Charles but didn’t orchestrate it. Since then, Dawson has come under fire for a number of alleged controversies including sexualising an 11-year-old Willow Smith, as well as appearing in blackface.
Now, in an unexpected twist, Westbrook has addressed the entire dramageddon with a 40-minute video released today (June 30) entitled ‘BREAKING MY SILENCE’. In the video, she details being ‘used, coerced, and manipulated’ by Dawson and Star into making the original video calling out Charles. Despite claiming to not be involved, Westbrook explains that Dawson helped edit the video.
“Shane said that James Charles was a monster, and that James Charles was hurting minors,” Westbrook details in her statement, which she claims to have lawyers help her draft. “He told me that something needed to be done to stop him from hurting more people.” Westbrook alleges that the duo told her more victims would come forward once she recorded the video exposing Charles, but that none came to light.
She goes on to explain how tearing down Charles became an “obsession” for both Dawson and Star because they were “bitterly jealous” of his success. She apologies again to Charles and says that while he wanted to be part of the video, she decided it was something she needed to do alone.
Westbrook goes on to discuss being afraid of coming to harm because of Star and how he might retaliate which led her to relocate and increase security measures. She continues on to say that she thinks Star will blackmail other YouTubers in response to her video.“My opinion, he’s gonna go off guys. I don’t think he will hold back,” she says. “We need to be prepared. We need to forgive the people that he is holding hostage with veiled threats of exposure, we need to be prepared to forgive, otherwise this won’t stop.”
For now, Westbrook isn’t going into futher details of providing receipts she claims to have as her lawyers are allegedly putting a case together. “The remainder will be handled privately or when I choose to speak on it again,” she explains. She apologies again for the “pain and frustration” the controversy has caused and hopes that she will be able to return the YouTube and beauty blogging properly very soon.
“I just want to get my life back,” she concludes.
Watch the full video below and stay tuned for more on dramageddon.